Prep time: 15 minutes, plus 30 minutes chilling time
Cook Time: 25 minutes
9 Dinner Rolls, split
1/4 Cup Whole Milk
1 LB Caramelized Onion Seasoned 85% Lean Ground Beef
1/4 Cup Ricotta Cheese
1 Egg, beaten to blend
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 15-oz Can Tomato Sauce
1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
4 Basil Leaves, torn
4 Slices Mozzarella Cheese, halved
- In large bowl, tear 1 dinner roll into crumbs to equal 1 cup. Add milk, 2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Set aside 5 minutes. Mix in beef, ricotta, egg, and garlic. Form into 8 balls and chill 30 minutes.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. When hot, add meatballs and cook for 8 minutes, or until brown all over. Stir in tomato sauce and ¼ cup water.
- Simmer, turning meatballs occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until they are cooked through. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan and basil.
- Lay 8 rolls, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Broil for 1 minute, or until toasted. Set roll tops aside. Divide meatballs and some sauce among roll bottoms. Top with mozzarella and broil 2 minutes, or until cheese is golden.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Cover with roll tops and serve with remaining sauce.